Academic Events and Seminars
The latest academic event Florence Conference on the Regulation of Railways took place on November 16th and 17th, 2018. At the conference papers covering the various aspects of railway regulation and focusing on competition, tendering, high-speed services, intermodality, digital mobility/railway platforms were presented. The best papers were selected for publication in the Railway Regulation Handbook, to be published by Edward Elgar in 2020.
FSR Annual Conference on the Regulation of Infrastructures
The Conference on the Regulation of Infrastructures is a yearly event with the involvement of the four areas of the Florence School of Regulation, coordinated by FSR Transport. It takes an interdisciplinary look at the most recent developments and future challenges for the network industries, covering energy, transport, water and communication sectors.
Dating back to 2012, the Conference on the Regulation of Infrastructure Industries, is today an annual event, which has grown and established itself as a point of reference for scholars and stakeholders all over the world. The best papers are published in the Journal Competition and Regulation in Network Industries (SAGE), whose editor-in-chief is Prof. Matthias Finger.
Learn more about the previous editions:
- Focus on liberalization in infrastructure management in Europe and on the role of regulators
- Focus on market dynamics and the emerging role of new entrants in the process of liberalization of infrastructure industries
- Focus on regulatory evolution in light of mutual exchange of experiences between different sectors
- Focus on the link between technology and institutions in developing and emerging countries
- Focus on digitalization: it is at different stages in the different network industries
- Focus on regulatory challenges: especially on infrastructure financing and management of future “smart cities”.
- Focus on the major challenges infrastructure regulation is currently facing in the context of sharing economy and platforms
- Focus on the key challenges of digitalisation for traditional network industries
Learn more here.
10th Conference on the Regulation of Infrastructures
Next year’s Annual FSR Conference, which will take place on 10th and 11th June 2021, will focus on ‘Investment challenges: How to reconcile competition, digitalisation and decarbonisation?’. Investment has traditionally been a challenge in network industries, and it appears to be exacerbated by the spread of COVID-19 which is adding another layer of uncertainty. In parallel, significant investments will need to be channelled into infrastructure to align with the Commission’s decarbonisation and digitalisation objectives. Do we have the right incentives for these investments? Do we have free riding opportunities? These are some of the questions that the conference will seek to discuss.