Special focus on peak load pricing

Claude Crampes and Thomas-Olivier Léautier

Peak load pricing is the single most important insight into the electric power industry. A simplified version of the story starts by observing that demand is lower than available production capacity 99% of the time. Electric power being a commodity, when demand exceeds supply, the price is set at variable cost, which today is around 30 – 50 €/MWh.  For the remaining 1% of the time, demand is very close to available production capacity, and price must rise to cover the fixed cost of generation plants.  These “spikes” can reasonably reach 1 000 €/MWh for a few hours.  Peak price can reasonably be 30 times higher than off-peak price.

This unique pricing structure raises a series of challenges for all stakeholders. For example, investors are hesitant to build power plants that rely on 1% of the hours to secure a return; symmetrically, consumers and policy makers are concerned that producers have incentives to increase the frequency of “price spikes”.

During the upcoming FSR Executive Course to Master Electricity Markets, we will present peak-load pricing and its implications for investors, consumers, and policy makers.


More on Electricity

Citizens taking the lead: what can consumers do to protect themselves from high energy prices?
Citizens taking the lead: what can consumers do to protect themselves from high energy prices?

The ongoing crisis with very high energy prices has become a reason for growing concern among both policymakers and citizens.…

ACER's assessment of the EU wholesale electricity market design
ACER's assessment of the EU wholesale electricity market design

Over the last year, energy prices in Europe have increased sharply, reaching unprecedented levels. This was:  initially mainly due to…

Non-Personal Data in the Electricity Sector: a Key Asset for Private Companies and Public Authorities
Non-Personal Data in the Electricity Sector: a Key Asset for Private Companies and Public Authorities

The paper ”Non-Personal Data in the Electricity Sector: a Key Asset for Private Companies and Public Authorities” (Donne, A.) will…

Join our community

To meet, discuss and learn in the channel that suits you best.

scroll

top