• Sixteen international case studies on the implementation of dynamic retail electricity tariffs are reviewed to identify the design and implementation choices that have to be made when introducing such tariffs.
• Two primary design choices are identified: 1) the time block length, which means the number of distinct tariff levels; and 2) the price periodicity, which is the time interval between revisions of the tariff. Time-of-use tariffs are widely used and they can be the first step in applying dynamic tariffs before moving to more advanced approaches such as real-time pricing.
• Two types of implementation choices are identified: 1) those made by the regulator regarding regulatory interventions to protect vulnerable customers; and 2) those made by consumers regarding whether to opt for a dynamic tariff and the selection of a suitable dynamic tariff option.
• The implementation of dynamic retail tariffs depends on the availability of physical and information and communication technology (ICT) infrastructure, the maturity of the power market design and consumer behaviour.
• Before implementing dynamic tariffs, it is essential to conduct a careful cost-benefit analysis of the effects on consumers, suppliers and the overall implementation system. Moreover, enabling innovative business models and technologies will help to derive the maximum benefit from the application of dynamic tariffs.
In 2015, the Paris Climate Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) propelled the world into fast track mode towards achieving the sustainability goals. Three decades from now, the [...]
Covid-19 is changing the scenarios on which most policies were based, including those in the fields of energy and the environment. Our experts Simone Borghesi, Jos Delbeke, Jean-Michel Glachant, Alberto [...]
Technical standards that are agreed within a Standard Development Organization (SDO) often cover several ‘essential’ patents for the implementation of a standard (i.e., Standard Essential Patents, SEPs). In order to [...]
Carbon pricing in general and emissions trading in particular are gaining momentum at the world level. In recent years increasing attention has been devoted to the possibility of linking Emissions [...]
Join our community
To meet, discuss and learn in the channel that suits you best.