• The Covid-19 crisis and climate change are both serious issues, and combining them in a single policy is a serious challenge.
• The Covid-19 crisis has been triggered by a virus outbreak and in Western countries has kept intact most of the supply-side capabilities and a large part of our consumption potential.
• Climate change is quite the opposite. It is an increasing long- term threat which requires changing most of our supply-side fundamentals and consumption habits.
• I will first focus on the immediate issue: after the Covid-19 crisis, what is the new normal for the energy sector? Then I will move on to discussing the feasibility of a ‘Greening Recovery,’ first looking at it as a general public policy issue and second as a very particular issue for the weak central authority that the EU has.
• Having found the proposal to launch a common ‘EU Green Recovery’ policy credible, I will look at likely implementation challenges. I will address some aspects of the greening of the energy supply side, either with massive renewables or with a carbon-neutral hydrogen sector taking off.
• I will then conclude that the feasibility of launching a European Green Recovery policy is not the only key condition for its success, as effective implementation also promises to be very challenging. This governance could be taken up by a new EU entity.
India has embarked on an ambitious sustainable development pathway by applying a multipronged approach spanning several sectors from developing smart cities to enabling electric vehicles. In the power sector, it [...]
To increase the share of RES-E, governments have designed and implemented promotional policies which provide direct and indirect financial aid to RES-E adapters and developers. These promotional policies include several [...]
Different measures for carbon leakage prevention across Emissions Trading Systems (ETSs) may distort economic competition between firms. The same is true of competition between jurisdictions if decisions on the location [...]
Join our community
To meet, discuss and learn in the channel that suits you best.