Regulation for Universal Access to Energy
New online training! 12 February – 25 June 2018
Early Bird Special: 10% discount if you register until 12 December 2017!
FSR as part of its global initiatives is offering an online course focusing on energy sector issues pertinent to developing countries. This course will enable the learner in gaining a comprehensive vision to design appropriate policy and regulatory framework needed to ensure sustainable energy for all.
The course analyses the multi-dimensional approach to energy access, by emphasising the role of regulation. This entails understanding of:
- the interdependence of the tools available to address energy access including the technologies (traditional, clean & smart), finance, business models and regulatory instruments
- the wider impact energy access has on health, education and on overall socio-economic development
Discover more about the key aspects of this course
Structure of the Course
The course participants will work both individually and in groups on specific tasks – all real life cases and issues.
Start of course
Live welcome class: Monday 12 February at 14:00 CET
- Block 1: Understand the perspective, challenges and approaches of energy access and its correlation to the many facets of development. Dates: 13 – 26 February 2018
- Block 2: Learn the different elements of the power sector and the similarities and difference between developed and developing countries. Dates: 27 February – 16 April 2018
- Block 3: Understand how the power sector is regulated and the various regulatory instruments used. Dates: 17 April – 7 May 2018
- Block 4: Study the financing mechanisms and business models of the different approaches of providing electricity access. Dates: 8 May – 4 June
- Block 5: Understand the challenges, technologies and business models of clean cooking solutions in the developing countries. Dates: 5 – 11 June
- Block 6: Conclude the learnings and discuss strategic issues of energy access. Dates: 12 – 25 June
Live Panel at the end of block 1: Monday 26 February at 14:00 CET
Live Panel at the end of block 2: Monday 16 April at 14:00 CET
Live Panel at the end of block 3: Monday 7 May at 14:00 CET
Live Panel at the end of block 4: Monday 4 June at 14:00 CET
Live Panel at the end of block 5: Monday 11 June at 14:00 CET
Live Panel at the end of block 6: Monday 25 June at 14:00 CET
FSR is offering this course via our online school platform to help participants gain the fundamentals. The online training will be given in English, with an option of French and Spanish subtitles for the video lectures.
The length of the course is approximately 4.5 months and the number of hours needed per week is 4-6 hours.
The tailor made residential training, will be offered based on request, for group bookings from same organisation or for group of participants from the same country/region.
- Interact with leading experts in the field
- Learn from cases from Asia, Africa and Latin America
- Join live panels and forum discussions
- Engage in group project and individual activities
- Work on an innovative online platform, supported by a dedicated team
The training is developed for experienced managers and targets professionals from the energy sector including government agencies, regulatory bodies, energy companies, energy utilities, development organisations, but also academics and researchers.
No specific academic background is required.
To enable a true global learning experience, FSR brings together a host of global experts to present cases and experiences from Africa, Asia and Latin America
Ignacio Pérez-Arriaga, Course Director
Training Director at the FSR, Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Professor and Director of the BP Chair of Energy and Sustainability at Universidad Pontificia Comillas (UPC).
Jean-Michel Glachant, Director of the Florence School of Regulation
Loyola de Palacio Chair
Pippo Ranci, WAME Principal Advisor at FSR, Professor of Economic Policy at the Università Cattolica in Milan, Ex-President of the Italian regulatory authority for electricity and gas.
Swetha Ravi Kumar Bhagwat, Head of FSR Global Relations
Samson Hadush, Vlerick Business School
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Pia Lovengreen Alessi, WAME
Universal Access to Energy FSR Advisor
Miguel Vazquez, FSR Market Design Advisor
Research Fellow at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Pablo Duenas, FSR Gas and Electricity Advisor
Research Scientist at MIT Energy Initiative
Associate Professor at Politecnico di Milano
Professor at University of ROME “La Sapienza”
Associate Professor at the Technical University of Madrid (UPM)
UPM Director for North America
Visiting Scholar at the Harvard Kennedy School
Senior Fellow & Associate Director at The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
Campaign Manager, Sierra Leone at PowerforAll
Professor at the University of Cape Town
Researcher at Universidad Pontificia Comillas
CEO&MD at TATA Power-DDL
Director Research at PowerforAll
Deputy Director for Science and Technology at MIT Energy Initiative
International Energy Consultant
Lead Energy Specialist at the World Bank
Head, Partnerships and Technical Advisory Services at IRENA
Joint Chief (Regulatory Affairs) at Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, India
Advisor at ACCIONA Microenergía Foundation
Cancellation policyPaid registration fee is non-refundable. However, registrant substitution may be made up to 20 days before the start date of the course.